Monday, April 22, 2019

Thank You For My Advantage! by Myra Boozer

2 Corinthians 1:3, "Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort: Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God,” This is a powerful word. Thank you, Lord!

When I went to read this scripture, I came across a wonderful short story in The Inspirational Study Bible by Max Lucado. Here is a brief review of the story. Every morning the school bell rang the children arrived very reluctantly...they came on time but never early except for one young girl. She would come to help the teacher get ready for class...she would also stay late and dust the erasers. She was very fond of the teacher and sat close to her, taking in all she could from the lessons. One day as the teacher was dealing with unruly and inattentive students, she used the girl as an example...’ Why can't you be like her? She listens. She works. She comes early and she stays late.’ A young boy spoke up from the back of the room. In his quick to respond manner, he said...’ It isn't fair to ask us to be like her.’ The teacher wanted to know Why? The boy then didn't feel so bold as he shrugged and said, ‘She has an advantage.’ The teacher said, ‘And what's that?’ ‘She is an orphan,’ he almost whispered and sat down.”

Now this spoke to me as I continued to read. The boy was correct. She did have an advantage. In the eyes of the world, she was an orphan, alone with no name, no future, no hope. But she knew that school was better than the orphanage. She knew that she appreciated that more than the other children and she considered it very special and was very thankful. She loved the teacher and the time she spent in school. I think because the world otherwise held nothing for her, her tribulation was her advantage. 

The world, in its self-absorbed lifestyle, doesn't have time to come early and stay late at the feet of Jesus. Nor does it have time to do any work for the Lord to show its appreciation. I see myself in this little girl. I was so much in need of love, acceptance, a safe place to be me. Without the Lord being my teacher and my guide, where would I be? I too have an advantage! Every test, every trial or heartbreak is an advantage when it leads me to Jesus. Jesus is the Master Teacher. I am nothing without Him and His plan for my life because this world is not my home. I do not belong here. I have no desire for its fame or it's fortune, no desire for great achievements or fellowship with the world. Thank you, Lord, for loving me. Thank You For My Advantage!!

No comments:

Post a Comment