Friday, April 10, 2020

Treasures Of The Heart! by Myra Boozer

Proverbs 2:1, “My son, (or daughter) if you will receive my words and treasure my commandments within you, 2 Make your ear attentive to wisdom, incline your heart to understanding; 3 For if you cry for discernment, lift your voice for understanding; 4 If you seek her as silver and search for her as for hidden treasures; 5 Then you will discern the fear of the LORD and discover the knowledge of God.” NASB

The things that I love and hold dear to my heart are just borrowed they're not mine at all... Jesus only let me use them to brighten my life...So remind me, remind me, dear Lord. The words of an old song hold true today. I have loved and held many things close to my heart. I have had so many blessings and material goods. No, I am not wealthy compared to some. But compared to others, I am. I have had my share of the comforts of life, not extravagant things but enjoyable things. Some have been very useful and some just pretty to look at and some just plain and simple little treasures. But, things are just that, they are “Things.” Things can be replaced if lost or stolen. They are disposable and transferable. They are things.

Sometimes things get in the way of what is important. They can become too meaningful and take our time and energy away from what really counts. I am learning to lay them down. Day by day they are losing their value to me. I have been letting them go from my heart for some time now because I will not take them with me. They have served their purpose thus far and I am very thankful for all I have been given to enjoy along the way.

I have always tried to keep my head straight as for how I spend our money. I have tried to be saving and practical, you know the bargain hunter kind of person. But even at a bargain, the “things” you have can become a part of you. You become familiar with them and they sometimes become “treasures.” They may not be worth much to anyone else but you. They are special to you.

Well, I have had lots of those special things hidden away in old hat boxes or the dresser drawers and in closets, even under the beds. Things I have saved from our only little boy, baby clothes, little cars and things he saved thru the years. Things that make you smile, like a costume I made him for his 1st-grade play, pictures he drew of his house, family and the neighbor's dog. The dog stayed at our house because he loved it so much. You know “treasures” that I don’t plan on throwing out but my heart is letting go.

I think I understand the purpose is for letting go. It isn’t wrong to have things but it is wrong for things to have us. When what we have and what we do is all about things and we just want to live on and on so we can secure and protect our treasures, we need to release them. There are no U-hauls going to heaven. I don’t want the tears that are wiped away from my eyes to be about the “things” I have accumulated. I will leave all that behind. 

1 John 2:15, “Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world...” I am letting go! The greatest treasures I have are My precious Family, My Relationship with the Lord and My Understanding of His Word. I celebrate the fact that He died, that I might live and that has nothing to do with “things.” That is my greatest treasure! And, that my friend, I must hold on to for ever and NEVER LET GO. “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also,” Matt. 6:21.

No comments:

Post a Comment