Thursday, August 27, 2015

Time for the Harvest


Today as I enter into a time of prayer and meditation, my heart is heavy with the task of reaching the lost. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the answer to the present human condition. All men must hear the message of redemption and freedom in Christ. Jesus left the responsibility of evangelizing the world to the Church. Matt. 28:18, “And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” The Body of Christ is commissioned to carry the message into all the world. In verse 18 Jesus states that He has all power. It is the exaltation of our Lord Jesus, having overcome death, hell and the grave that is emphasized here. When the Father awoke Him from death,the humiliation of flesh came to an end. At the resurrection He entered into heavenly glory. The limited conditions of the human life were removed. Therefore, He could say, “all power is given unto me...” He possessed in His glorified nature absolute power to procure all things necessary to establish His Kingdom. In union with the Father, He was free from all limitations.

Why is that important? In the very next verse, Jesus outlines the task of those that remain to carry the Gospel to all nations. “Go ye therefore...” doing what He had done, saving the lost, healing the sick, teaching to observe all the things that Jesus had taught. And because He had all power, He anointed with power to accomplish the commission given. He validated this fact by, “I am with you always.” The Christ with all power promised to always be with His disciples in every generation.

The role of the Church is to facilitate or implement the Harvest. We are to gather, prepare, send and reap. We are given the task to gather people into the kingdom, prepare them for service in the Lord's work and send them forth to reap the Harvest. This responsibility is ordained by God and empowered by God.

The commission of Christ is one that we must accept individually and collectively as the Church. So today, we have either embraced His call or settled for something less than complete surrender. Without total abandon for Christ, we introduce the arm of the flesh into a spiritual body. The result is the creation of a humanistic social order rather than the Body of Jesus Christ. Jesus will reach the world through a Spirit filled, Spirit inspired and Spirit empowered Church. Our success will be determined by how well we have followed His instructions. It is for this reason that I offer this prayer for all engaged in the Harvest of souls.

“Lord, You have given me such an enormous responsibility. That which I accept willingly. However, I realize how much I am dependent upon you. I feel the helplessness of this frail human soul. I ask you in all humility to make me rise to the task. I need your intervention in every effort with every step I take. Open my heart to the Holy Spirit. Help me to hear your voice. I don't want to miss your cue. Help me to be ever aware of where I am and where you are. I need your abiding presence every step of this journey. I can't go without your approval and support. I don't want to be sounding brass and tinkling cymbal. I want to speak your WORD. Your WORD will go forth with power and authority. Your WORD will convict hearts and change lives. Your WORD will prepare our hearts for eternity.

Father, I pray for the Church, Your Church. Help us to cast off the works of this human flesh. Help us to return to the days of old where we walked in the power of the Holy Spirit. Renew in us an intense desire to experience a fresh wind of the Spirit. Burn away the sin and selfishness that we embrace so easily. Help us to see ourselves as you see us. Help us to be void of our own agenda and to know and perform your will daily in our lives. Help us to see vividly that your cause is most important and our goals are secondary subject to what you desire. Purge us and wash us clean of all our human ambitions and replace them with your high and lofty goals. Fill us up with your person that there is no room for ME. Father we offer this prayer in the name of your precious Son, Jesus, Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment